The stories, laughs and feeling in the room at the Round One Equip! Celebration on Thursday 20 July was clear indication that the Equip! Program is helping young people in many ways.
Held at the Cats Deakin Community Centre, approximately 40 young people with a CALD background and their mentors celebrated the completion of the Program.
The audience heard the mentees talk about their experiences and learnings over their time in the program, which was evidence of how much mentees had grown in confidence. They also watched a video presentation put together by one of the participants with an interest in media. It was clear that the young people had valued their experience with Equip!
Here is some participant feedback to make your smile:
- “ I’ve met some Aussie friends from being in Equip! I love that I can call them mates!”
- “ I’ve achieved what I wanted. And I’ve run out of questions”
- “ I thought we were doing silly games to learn Australian stuff. But we were doing teamwork and communication!”
- “ I got a job this week!!! Interview practice was very helpful. They asked me about the questions we’d done in Equip!”
- “ I’m going to take from this program… I can do things by myself now. ‘You go girl!’, I say to me!”
- “ I’ve learnt that I’ve got lots of choices about ways to get to the same place. And it’s my choice how. Good job mentors!”
As part of the Equip! program, mentees gain general knowledge about work in Geelong, develop a better understanding of their own skills, interests and possible career pathways, and work with a volunteer mentor who also provides them with assistance in these areas.
The Equip! Team would like to thank all volunteer mentors and mentees for their help and persistence over the course of this first round of this pilot Program. Thanks must also go out to the many organisations who provided work experience and volunteering opportunities for our participants.